Saturday, July 23, 2011

#4. The Baby Room



Then...



...and Now



Are you kidding me? I get to bring my baby to work with me? One of the greatest perks of being a teacher at the Willows has been access to the baby room where Lucas got to spend his days with his friends: Phoebe, Braydon, and Morgan(all of who are children to other teacher friends). Of course there are downsides to having your baby on campus(like when you see the light on in the room, knowing your kids is supposed to be napping), but all in all, I feel like the luckiest mom ever having had the opportunity to see Lucas throughout the day, everyday, while still having the chance to work doing something I love. It was the perfect set-up. I never had to be too far away and I never had to experience the anxiety I imagine most moms endure when they go back to work after maternity leave. I got to see him out on the yard, check in on him at lunchtime and essentially get to enjoy watching him have fun during the day. Lucas thrived at school. Not only did Lucas get to develop his social skills with the other babies, but he also had the unique opportunity of being around school-aged kids who interacted and played with the babies. It always made me smile to walk around the corner and see a fifth grade or a third grader playing peek-a-boo with him or having a group of second graders doing a dance performance to the babies. Lucas visited all the classrooms, enjoyed the after school classes where he got to play with farm animals and watch basketball games, and the 4th grade students even threw Lucas a surprise 1st birthday party. The best feeling leaving work everyday was when Lucas and I would pack up his things, walk outside, and have students of all ages run up to us to say goodbye to Lucas. They’d say, “Bye Lucas, see you tomorrow!” Now that’s a family and a really good example of community. More companies should figure this out, because it certainly makes working moms and dads more satisfied!

No comments:

Post a Comment